Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Ludvig van Beethoven



#590
graphite on paper
A4

Bust by Eugine Guillaume, 1870

Beethoven is an inspiring figure.  He lived only 56 years and wrote a huge amount of great music. He was also a virtuoso pianist. He lost his hearing when he was 30, and when he was 40 he stopped performing because his hearing was too bad. In the end he was totally deaf. He was already deaf when he wrote the 9th symphony.
Can you imagine writing music without being able to hear it ? He must have had an imagination that was more real than reality. I often think, the worst that could happen to me is to loose my eyesight, I could no longer paint. Maybe I would start to sculpt. Anyway I have outlived Beethoven already.
His funeral was attended by 20,000 people, he influenced millions.